If variety is the spice of life, then consider adding this spice to yours…Turmeric is being touted as one of the most nutritional supplements around, and containing compounds that offer medicinal properties. Curcumin, which is the main ingredient, has shown to have powerful anti-inflammatory effects that match the effectiveness of some anti-inflammatory drugs. Unlike aspirin and ibuprofen, it does so without damaging the liver or kidneys.
More than just an ingredient found in curry, turmeric boasts numerous health-boosting properties that have been found to help treat sports injuries, joint pain, arthritis, certain skin conditions and various autoimmune diseases. Wondering how best to use turmeric?! Inspired by one of our members and their use of turmeric, we’ve created and adapted our very own version of a turmeric shot!
Good source of fibre, vitamin C and several important minerals coconut water forms the basis of this drink. With added ginger, you’re on your way to help reduce exercise-induced muscle soreness. Helping to lower blood sugar levels, ginger may have powerful anti-diabetic properties. A true superfood that’s actually worthy of that term! Boosting energy levels without the caffeine crash, the juice of one lemon aids digestion and detoxification. As with all good recipes be sure to season…black pepper helps your body to absorb the turmeric and sea salt helps maintain a healthy balance of electrolytes in the body.
- 1 teaspoon or 1-inch square of fresh finely sliced turmeric
- 1 teaspoon or 1-inch square of fresh finely sliced ginger
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 500 ml of coconut water
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Add turmeric, ginger, lemon juice, coconut water, sea salt and black pepper into a blender, juicer or hand blender and give it a good whizz.
- Transfer to shot glasses to drink.
- Immediately freeze any shots leftover to lock in the goodness.
- Serve, preferably with a food containing healthy fats for enhanced absorption