The chocolate or multi coloured cereals are obviously bad for you, but there are several different breakfast cereals claiming to be healthy that are actually hiding heaps of sugar and salt! Don’t run the cereal gauntlet anymore try our healthy granola recipe!
We all know that a healthy breakfast is the most important meal of the day so try our version of granola. Jam-packed with a plethora of beneficial goodies ensure you and your family are getting the best nutritional start!
Experiment with our healthy granola recipe to make it your own with an array of ingredients to choose from. Once you’ve cooked the oats you can add nuts, seeds, dried fruits, fresh fruit and serve with either natural or Greek yogurt or any milk – a squeeze of honey on top or maple syrup optional!
- Reduce cholesterol – walnuts and almonds may help to lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increase selenium levels – improve mood, help inflammation and assist in maintaining healthy blood pressure all with the humble brazil nut.
- Fibre boost – plant based foods such as sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds offer a great source of fibre which is really important part of a healthy diet.
- Muscle recovery – high content of phosphorous in rolled oats helps muscle recovery after exercise.
- Good for hangovers – oats neutralise acidity levels in the body.
- 60g of coconut oil – we use Lucy Bee Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 400g of porridge oats
- 120g almond flakes
- 75g walnuts
- 75g brazil nuts
- 100g pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds (or both)
- 100g of dried fruit – apricots, dates or figs etc
- Preheat oven to 160’C
- Add the coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon to a saucepan and gently heat until coconut oil has melted
- Add the porridge oats and almonds flakes to a large baking tray. Pour the melted coconut oil over the oats and mix well so all the ingredients are coated
- Add to the oven and cook for 20 minutes – every 5 minutes or so turn the granola mixture
- Remove from the oven, let it cool, add the other ingredients into an air-tight container and shake to mix.